removing old messages from mboxes

2001-07-17 22:38:31
The situation is the following: my mailboxes (mbox format) are growing and
I would like to reduce some of them and just keep the latest messages (say
10-15 days), while in some other cases I would like to keep all messages in
the last year, and so (I want flexibility!).

Now the question: can this be done with procmail or is there any other
utility to do 'mbox maintainance'?

From reading the archives I noticed that this topic has been discussed in
the past and that mbox is not easy to work with for the task of removing
old messages. If I find that this is the case, is it easy to move all my
mboxes to maildir? Any tool at hand to do this?

I would like to avoid reinventing the wheel ... so if there is already
a solution for my need I would go for it.

Thanks in advance,

Fernan