Re: Adding an attachment to an email

2001-07-23 16:33:26
At 17:53 2001-07-23 -0500, Michael McKelvey wrote:
I would like to send an attachment with an email I'm generating in response
to certain received messages.  I'm using Procmail to send the email (hence
my reasoning behind posting to this list), but I don't know how to do this.
It's a Word Document, so I can't just cat it into the body of the message.
Here's what it looks like so far:

Take a moment and check and see if your system has 'mailto' (by Nathan Borenstein) which would do pretty much what you're asking for.

(The MATCH variable is from earlier in the script, and has the email address
of the person I'm sending this message to)
Ideas, anyone?

MIME should be identified in the headers - you shouldn't blast a reply at someone and just tack a MIME block on the end of the message - some mailers are likely to rarf at you. Properly, your text message body would be within one MIME block, and the attached file would be in another.

If you lack the tools to generate properly formatted MIME messages, you could get away with using a suitable PC mail client and sending yourself a message with the attachment, save that, trim out headers (or formail could do that -- retain the Content-type, content-disposition, and mime-version headers though), and then simply mail that out as your reply.