using procmail with Exim

2001-07-24 15:39:24

I was having a bit of trouble with procmail and exim. Here's what I discovered:

.forward: Exim doesn't execute a shell. Just a pipe will do. "|/usr/bin/procmail -f-"

bounces: All of my messages were bouncing, even though procmail was succeeding. It turns out exim considers any output from the .forward pipe worthy of a bounce (I guess it ignores exit codes).

This can be turned off in a config file but this was on my home ISP's machine, so no-go there. Also procmail was whining about not being able to open my spool file even though it didn't need to (I'm using this account for sorting only - nothing gets saved there). My solution was to forward from .forward:

"|/home/me/bin/exim_procmail -f-"

which looks like:

#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/procmail $* 2>/dev/null

That stops the bounces. It's not elegant, but hey, elegant would be my ISP installing procmail properly (setuid).

This seems to be working OK - anybody see a problem with this method?

BTW, here's the link to the exim FAQ that talks about the problem: <http://www.exim.org/FAQ.html#SEC176>

I don't agree with their assumptions but it sure would be nice to have a [-q,--quiet] flag for procmail.

Thanks,
-Bill
-----
Bill McGonigle