Re: Where Is $HOME?

2001-07-25 00:55:59
On a bit of a tangent, but I had the suggestion from Ivaiko last week
your user's home dir's anywhere other than /home/user, if you just make
a symlink to them then procmail will see them.

Regarding 'email-only' users - if you are setting up on RH62 using
linuxconf, if the user is 'POP3 only', then it will by default create a
directory under /home for them.

If, however, you are talking about a virtual email account, then I
believe that just creates aliasing, so there won't be any home directory
or mailbox created (as the mail isn't stored on your box.)

.rc files: any global instructions for procmail should go in
/etc/.procmailrc, but I tend to just have an individual .procmailrc file
in each home directory so it can be customised as per user requirements.
Procmail will look for /etc/.procmailrc first when it runs, but if this
file is not present it will then proceed to the .procmailrc in the home
directory.

FYI, I'm a newcomer to procmail myself, running on RH6.1 and everything
seems to work fine for users who I have as 'popusers' (ie no login
privileges) as well as normal accounts.

However, I'm not familiar with this Zope thing you're using, so maybe
it's setting up it's own email structure within linux.

How do you actually create your user accounts - with this or linuxconf
or useradd or what?

Peter Rose
London UK

In message
<5(_dot_)0(_dot_)2(_dot_)1(_dot_)0(_dot_)20010724081816(_dot_)00a299a0(_at_)thewebsons(_dot_)com>,
 Ben Ocean
<beno(_at_)thewebsons(_dot_)com> writes
At 09:03 AM 7/24/2001 -0400, you wrote:
On 23 Jul, Ben Ocean wrote:
| Silly question, I know, but I have all sorts of users on my RH62 box that
| have no home or any account other than an email account. Some of them don't
| even have directories since I'm using a platform called Zope to build Web
| sites and putting ProxyPass lines in my httpd.conf file. So, where is $HOME?

I don't know the specific answer to your question. But while you're
waiting you could do something like (in /etc/procmailrc):

xLOGFILE=$LOGFILE
xVERBOSE=$VERBOSE
VERBOSE=no
LOGFILE=/pathto/procmaillog.testvars
LOG="$LOGNAME $HOME
"
LOGFILE=$xLOGFILE
VERBOSE=$xVERBOSE

Hmm. I ran this line:
find / -type f -name "procmaillog.testvars" -print
and got this:
find: /proc/6/fd: Permission denied
so, would the path be:
/proc/6/fd/procmaillog.testvars
?

Then send some test messages, or wait for real messages to come in.
When you've seen all you need to, remove the lines from the rcfile and
the logfile, and you haven't cluttered your "real" logfile(s).

What exactly is an rcfile? .procmailrc I presume? And is a .procmailrc file
necessary if setting up procmail globally?
TIA,
BenO

"I don't like your fashion business mister"
  - Leonard Cohen / First We Take Manhattan