Re: Magistr virus

2001-07-31 18:33:48
At 18:35 2001-07-31 -0500, Gregory Berardi wrote:
Does anyone have a way to stop the magistr virus?

Doesn't sound a bell. Let's assume that it is an email-bourne worm/trojan/virus -- if it isn't, then this certainly isn't the list to inquire about it on.

I'd start by reading CERT and McAffee, etc., virus bulletins about it, to determine the nature of distribution and possible mutation. Then, if you've actually received one or more copies of it, examine the message and headers.

Does it mutate the filename, or is it always the same? Are there static components in the message body or subject?

Whatever you do, DO NOT post the attachment itself it to this list - partial headers and text excertpts from the message body are one thing, but the full message isn't cool.

There have been a number of messages about SirCam, and other generic executable attachment filters posted in the past weeks, as well as numerous links to the Sanitizer - you should check them and seeing how to adapt them to this Magistr virus. If you check the URL in my .sig, you'll get information on how to set up a testbed configuration to properly test your recipes against a saved copy of the virus email(s), to see if it effectively isolates it. You should also consider throwing a saved copy of your regular mailbox folders at the recipe to see whether it gets false positives.