Re: setting up quotas...

2001-08-04 07:36:48
On  4 Aug, Christian Leitner wrote:
| > Um, wouldn't quotas *increase* the load on the mail server due to the
| > overhead of tracking and updating the usages?  Or were you refering to
| > the disk space used?
|
| i don't know. i just want that users are not allowed to send 10MB with
| email.
| i thought i can do this with quotas?

I don't have the original message, and don't remember if the MTA was
mentioned. If it's sendmail you can limit message size by defining
confMAX_MESSAGE_SIZE. Search for that string for usage in cf/README
from the sendmail sources. I have no idea if that limit is enforced on
outgoing messages, but know it works for incoming.

If the machine load really is the issue, and not disk quotas or
somesuch, then limiting message size isn't likely to help except on the
margin if at all. Are you sure it's sendmail causing the high load? It
seems to me the volume of mail would have to be pretty high. There are
ways to throttle sendmail. In the same README look for things like
confQUEUE_LA, confREFUSE_LA, MAX_DAEMON_CHILDREN, and others in the
general vicinity I'm sure. But if the load is persistently and
troublingly high, and there's nothing misconfigured that can be
stopped/fixed, the only real solution is likely to be upgrading the
hardware.

--
                   /"\
Don Hammond        \ /     ASCII Ribbon Campaign