Re: help!! .procmailrc can't handle long recipes!!

2001-08-10 07:40:23
* SUZANA BT ZAHRI <suzana(_at_)kym(_dot_)edu(_dot_)my> [010810 05:04]:

Hi all...
well, so far so good, procmail seems to be following .promailrc's
instructions...then i added more recipes to .procmailrc until it reached
this:

".procmailrc" 81 lines, 1349 characters

then i started having problem...my second last recipe in the .procmailrc
file is :

:0
* ^From(_dot_)*mcm(_at_)kym(_dot_)edu(_dot_)my
majordomo

i tried to send an email FROM
mcm(_at_)kym(_dot_)edu(_dot_)my(_dot_)(_dot_)(_dot_)procmail should have
filtered this email into folder majordomo, but it didnt! Then i send some
emails from other recipes (addresses) that i have specified in .procmailrc
...just to make sure.These didnt make it into folder majordomo too, even
though i specified it so in .procmailrc. I noticed that only the recipes
near the top worked, they got filtered into the folder. The ones near the
end didnt. So i have reached the conclusion that .procmailrc cant handle
far too long recipes. Is that right?? How can i fix this?? I want to
filter all my mailing lists (all 30 of them) using procmail, but i dont
think .procmailrc can take it.And one more thing ,if i have , like, 30
addresses to filter in .procmailrc, is there an easier way than typing:

:0
* ^From(_dot_)*example(_at_)kym(_dot_)edu(_dot_)my
majordomo

for each of the addresses?? This makes my .procmailrc too long.Can
somebody gimme a hint? THANKS!!

The length of your .procmailrc file isn't causing procmail to fail.
More likely one of your recipes isn't working as you intended.  Perhaps
post your entire .procmailrc file.  Perhaps turn on verbose logging to
get an insight into what is happening.

This is what I use to filter many mailing lists:

# mailing lists I want to sort
LISTS=\
(procmail|\
php-cvs|\
gnu-screen|\
moop|\
mutt|\
bahai|\
classics|\
python|\
squid|\
paml)

# save mailing list message to appropriate mailbox
:0
* $ ^TO_\/$LISTS
{
    # make matched string lowercase
    ADDR=`echo $MATCH | tr 'A-Z' 'a-z'`
    :0:
    $ADDR

- Matt Dunford <> zoot(_at_)zotikos(_dot_)com ..
-. www.zotikos.com -- o,;-

"We don't want to go back to tomorrow, we want to go forward."
    -- Vice President Dan Quayle