Re: An easy one for the gurus - Running Procmail w/o a $HOME/.forward

2001-08-15 10:50:31

Caveate: I've never touched exim.  Everything below is based on assuming
things have the obvious meaning.

Odhiambo Washington <wash(_at_)wananchi(_dot_)com> writes:
Here is my Exim transport:

# Allow Procmail to be used for local deliveries

procmail_pipe:
 driver = pipe
 command = "/usr/local/bin/procmail -d $local_part"
 return_path_add
 delivery_date_add
 envelope_to_add
 freeze_exec_fail = false
 log_defer_output = false
 log_fail_output = false
 log_output = false
 return_fail_output = false

I would tend to have return_fail_output be true: that way when
someone chooses to bounce a message by setting EXITCODE in their
.procmailrc file it'll be possible for them to include stuff in
the resulting bounce message.

 check_string = "From "
 escape_string = ">From "

You're better off having procmail do any necessary "From " escaping.  Why?
Because it supporesses the escaping when it's not necessary: there's no
need to escape embedded "From " lines when the message is delivered to
anything other than a mbox-style mailfile.

Otherwise, those exim setting look reasonable to me.

Philip Guenther