Re: logging actions of recipes

2001-08-21 17:35:59
Pollywog <croak(_at_)shadypond(_dot_)com> writes:
On 21 Aug 2001 20:58:16 +0200, Luka Kladaric wrote:
I'm a newbie, but a wild guess would be - you should set VERBOSE to 'on' in
your .procmailrc like this:
VERBOSE=on

then in your log file you'll see (among _A LOT_ of other stuff) 'setting
RULE=cleanup.rc' or sth. like that.

I don't believe verbose loggin is necessary for this to work, but that
was the first thing I tried, and it did not produce the "RULE" logs.

The answer to the question referenced by the URL from your original
message directly referes to using assignments like "RULE=blah" to ease
the searching of verbose logging output.

The alternative is to instead make assignments to the LOG variable to
directly enter text into the log, ala:

        # Assume loud headers are spam
        :0
        * ^Subject: [A-Z0-9\?!._]*$
        {
         LOG="cleanup.rc loud headers"
         INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/purge.rc
        }

In your original message you also wrote:
btw, purge.rc has this:

:0 hc:${HOME}/.procmail/headers.log.lock
| cat >> ${HOME}/.procmail/headers.log
  $TRASH
}

The above is syntactically incorrect: recipes have only one action.
It's not clear to me what the _intent_ of those lines are.  You want to
save a copy of the header in $HOME/.procmail/headers.log, obviously.
Do you also want to put the entire message in $TRASH, or are you just
trying to give up on message processing there?

Philip Guenther