PATH, and non-folder files (was procmail not getting invoked)

2001-09-16 18:45:48
When Michael had,

L> PATH=$HOME/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/ucb:/bin:/usr/local/bin:.

Andrew suggested,

E> Nix that as well, unless it's having trouble invoking binaries it needs
E> for delivery (in which case you probably need to fix your real path,
E> not just the one in .procmailrc)

If you do change PATH within your .procmailrc, you should be adding
directories to its compiled-in value, not clobbering it and starting from
scratch.

L> DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/mbox
L> LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/procmail.log

E> I suppose it's a matter of personal preference, but I don't like to put
E> non-mail folder files in my $MAILDIR. I keep my log in $HOME (actually,
E> $HOME/proclogs, as I rotate the log daily)

Yes, it is a matter of personal preference.  I do keep other mail-related
files in $MAILDIR, including my log,  unfinished drafts, and symlinks to
.procmailrc and my calendar, but I give everything that isn't a folder a
name starting with a period so that ls, if I don't use its -a option, will
show only the folders.