Procmail & Postfix & POP3

2001-09-20 13:35:56
Hi --
I'm attempting to filter out possible viruses in my wife's email which
arrives on my machine and she fetches via pop3.  I believe I have
installed procmail correctly, and I have used the data at

http://www.impsec.org/email-tools/sanitizer-configuration.html

to setup my /etc/procmailrc.  I have changed /etc/postfix/main.rc to use

mailbox_command = /usr/bin/procmail

I started with a procmailrc file that contained just the two lines

#MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail
#DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/Mailbox

I have no idea whether these should be uncommented, but since she is
getting the mail via POP3 it didn't seem to me to make sense.  Currently
her mail is saved in /var/spool/mail/xxx prior to her picking it up.

Lacking a conceptual model of how this all works, it is extremely
difficult to guess what she be done next.  If someone could suggest
something, documentation on the web that I'm likely to have missed, or
even just say how mail arrives on the system.   Something like

Mail port => postfix => procmail => /var/spool/mail

Note the above is nothing more than my random guess as to how it might
work.  I have not found anything that talks about things at a high level
of abstraction!

Many thanks,
       Fred
fkrogh(_at_)mathalacarte(_dot_)com