Re: eudora attachment problem:help!

2001-09-25 23:12:56
suzana <suzana(_at_)kym(_dot_)edu(_dot_)my> writes:
finally I've set up my pm-jamime-kill.rc recipe and my global rc file
seems to work fine, filtering unwanted attachments...but when I send
something (an attachment) from eudora, i found that that procmailrc
didnt filter this, even though this is the same file that I sent from
netscape mail...I checked the log and found something like this:

nawk:cant open file RE==============8737859
source line number 9
Procmail: program failure (2) of nawk

Your system's nawk command is broken: that value,
"RE==============8737859" should have been interpreted by nawk as a
request to set the "RE" variable to "=============8737859".  It didn't,
therefore it's broken.  If your system has gawk installed then you could
try it by adding the line:

        AWK = gawk

at the top of your .procmailrc.

and another thing, i tried using the variable
LOGFILE=/var/log/procmail/$LOGNAME in my procmailrc so that i can gather
all the users logs into one directory...but i found that  procmail didnt
create this logs when filtering emails, even though mails got filtered!
When I changed it to LOGFILE=$HOME/log, it works and procmail writes the
logs..but I dont want the logs to be separated in each users home
directory.How do i go about doing this??

By the time procmail starts reading your .procmailrc, it will have given
up root privileges and be running as you.  Therefore, that assignment will
only 'work' if either
a) /var/log/procmail/$LOGNAME already exists and is writable by you, or
b) /var/log/procmail/$LOGNAME does not exist but /var/log/procmail is
   writable by you (such that procmail can create the file inside it)

If you really want logfiles for all users to be in a single directory,
then you should pre-create them and chown them to the user, preferably
mode 600.  Don't forget to set the system to automatically do the
same when new accounts are created (the details of doing so are system
dependent and best derived from the system manpages).  /var/log/procmail
itself should be mode 755.

Philip Guenther