Re: Save a copy if match and finish intended delivery

2001-11-28 12:30:46
At 10:11 AM -0800 11/28/01, PSE-L(_at_)mail(_dot_)professional(_dot_)org (Professional Software Engineering wrote:
At 11:46 2001-11-28 -0600, Justin Shore wrote:
I don't want to stop the flow of matching mail at this time though. I'd like the message to be delivered like normal. What I would like is a copy of the matching message to be dropped in a defined spool. I already have a couple of rules that match text in the bodies and drop them in designated spools. Those messages aren't delivered to the intended recipient in those rules though. Any suggestions on the best way to accomplish this?

Read the manpages recently?  The oft-used 'c'opy flag does what you want:

:0c
{
        your test recipes, delivering to mailboxes, not mailspools
}

Avoid forwarding (!addr) within /etc/.procmailrc unless you use extensive loop checking.

The copy is provided for the ruleset at that nesting level, and if not delivered, it just goes away -- it won't produce an extra copy to the intended recipient (unless of course, you foolishly send a copy to them from within the ruleset).

Sean,
Thanks for the reply. Someone else also suggested using clone. I just gave it a whirl and it worked great. I didn't think it was the option I was looking for though. I thought it was meant for copying messages between recipes for some reason. I need to brush up on my procmail. It's like my vi knowledge. I lost that long ago. All I can remember now is :q. :)

Thanks again
 Justin

Justin Shore, ES-SS ES-SSR      Pittsburg State University
Network & Systems Manager       Kelce 157Q
Office of Information Systems   Pittsburg, KS 66762
Voice: (620) 235-4606           Fax: (620) 235-4545
http://www.pittstate.edu/ois/

Warning:  This message has been quadruple Rot13'ed for your protection.