Splitting mail on receipt to the right users

2001-11-28 13:05:52
Hello,
I have several sources from which I receive email and have just
managed to have all these sources redirected by my ISP to a single
queue where I can receive them using SMTP.
All of the mail in the queue is now adressed to a user called "mail"
so consquently all mail coming in goes to whoever I alias "mail"
to, rather than to the original "To" adressee.
Now this does not matter very much at the moment, but quite soon
other people (a small number) will be receiving mail through me,
and there will be other special purpose mail accounts.

Now, I could ask my ISP to re-work this I think, but I don't doubt
they will charge me for it (the mailq redirection they are doing
for nothing). It seems to me that I could use procmail to handle
all the mail addressed to "mail", examine the real "To:" address
line and deliver it to the right mailbox.

I am a procmail novice btw, I only really use it to filter my
mail into different personal mailboxes at the moment.

I use Postfix, and it occurs to me if I make Postfix pass all
mail to procmail for processing via a system wide procmailrc
I should be able to do this. Any hints ?

I hope I am right also that if I do this, then the personal
procmailrc's (as implemented through the .forward feature) will
still work.

So

Mail-->SMTP-->Postfix-->Procmail-->User/Procmail-->mailbox

Thanks.

--
Regards
Cliff