RE: reprocessing mail

2001-12-06 04:20:21
From: "Gary Funck" <gary(_at_)intrepid(_dot_)com>

Although Dallman Ross has already pointed out that this [i.e., a
script to reprocess a mail folder] is a FAQ, and an example in the
manpage, where a better (and correct) implementation is detailed, let
me point out that in my example above, that the file lock should be
released prior to running formail/procmail, and not at the end of the
script, otherwise a dead lock will likely occur.  Rewriting:

#!/bin/csh -f
[a really not at all bad effort at csh scripting deleted here]

Gary, I applaud your effort and your fortitude at csh scripting.
Please thus allow me to pass on a classic reference that changed
the course of my own scripting life forever in 1994.  The following
is something every serious shell scripter (and you qualify) should
become familiar with.

"Csh Programming Considered Harmful," the seminal article and
FAQ by the renowned Tom Christiansen, is must-reading.  It is
available at, among many other places,
http://www.cs.ruu.nl/wais/html/na-dir/unix-faq/shell/csh-whynot.html.
Have a gander, and enjoy.

Regards,
Dallman Ross

--
Netcom has imploded.  Please now use NOTnetcom.com for mail.
Ex-Netcommies:  Mail "forwards" for free forwarding service!