Re: matching variables

2001-12-06 12:34:28
On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, David W. Tamkin wrote:

| Since .*ed would match a *lot* of words,
| I was thinking of using \<ed\>.
| Would the latter way work?

Yes.

Thanks! Just wanted to make sure!

| b) If I scan the body, the "varible" line, like any other "variable" line,
| starts with an asterisc *. Can I do the following:
| * .*(goofy|micky) or will the .* right after * cause confusion?

You mean it starts with a literal asterisk that you want to find in the
text?  OK ...

No, I meant .* to signall to find it in any context.

.* means "any string without a newline, possibly a null string."

That's what I want to use.

Thanks a lot for your input!

--
CU, Niko