Re: horribly slow converting 3.4mb of news to mail

2001-12-16 14:33:16
At 00:31 2001-12-16 -0800, Harry Putnam wrote:

Just saw your post so haven't actually run your suggestion yet, but
are you suggesting some other way of getting the job done that awk is
doing?

I am suggesting that you try running a _test_ with the AWK removed to see what sort of performance hit you're taking from running AWK. If it is significant (as I suspect it may be), you could then decide to use a different tool for the job. Until you're aprised of the performance hit, it doesnt necessarily make sense to wrack your brains over figuring out how to rewrite some part of your script. In programming lingo, this is called "profiling". The replacement might be a perl script (which could do a thing or two else in your process as well) - notably, the perl script could have the logic to quit scanning the input once it has done its replacement, or could be called from procmail with just a copy of the head, etc.