Re: problems with procmailrc

2001-12-19 16:26:57
At 13:07 2001-12-19 -0500, Max wrote:

I have a small project to do, where i have to write a procmail filter so
that when an email arrives to something(_at_)domain(_dot_)com it gets copied to
user1(_at_)domain(_dot_)com

(assuming something(_at_)domain(_dot_)com is the _ONLY_ recipient at the local
mailbox)

:0c
* some condition which makes you decide to forward
* ! ^FROM_DAEMON
* ! ^X-Loop: dont_hose_me(_at_)example\(_dot_)com
{
        :0f
        | formail -A "X-Loop: dont_hose_me(_at_)example(_dot_)com"

        :0
        !user1(_at_)domain(_dot_)com
}

and then From filed has to be changed on the original
email and it has to be sent to user2(_at_)domain(_dot_)com (so user2 doesnt know
where the mail came from, but user1 does).

Newsflash: there are _MANY_ things which can identify the origin of the message - the messageid, the received lines, optional headers, and the body (incl. .sig) itself.

:0Ac
{
        :0f
        | formail -A "X-Loop: dont_hose_me(_at_)example(_dot_)com" \
                -I "From: sloth(_at_)domain(_dot_)com"

        :0
        !user2(_at_)domain(_dot_)com
}

If you don't want a copy to continue to be delivered to the original recipient, remove the 'c' from the above. If a forward bounces, the FROM_DAEMON (which you might want to change to FROM_MAILER, a matter of preference, see the man pages), or gets autoforwarded back to you (a mail loop), the X-Loop check, should keep you from endlessly forwarding them. Of course, _regular_ bounces won't be forwarded either.

As per .sig, this is untested - I suggest you look back a few days in the archives of this forum for a script I wrote for doing sandbox testing with forwards by redefining $SENDMAIL to point to a shell script. This will save you - and the hapless victims you're forwarding these messages to - a LOT of grief while testing your script. Date was 11 DEC 2001, subject "Testing filters before putting them into live use".

I never touched procmail before,

Tread carefully then - misuse of it can easily ruin people's days if you cause mail loops. If you ruin someone else's day, they might choose to ruin yours (say, a sysadmin who kindly dumps your mail to /dev/null to get the loop to stop).

and after few hours of digging through its (as well as regexp)
manuals, i wrote something that gets the job half way done.

.. which I didn't even look at, because you sent it to a mailing list as an ATTACHMENT.