Re: When to lock?

2001-12-22 19:37:03
On Fri, Dec 21, 2001 at 11:34:24AM -0800, Professional Software Engineering
wrote:
At 13:36 2001-12-21 -0500, Jed Record wrote:

I have some typical recipies that I have been using and I would like to get
some input on efficiency.  When is it appropriate to use a lockfile

Basically, whenver you're writing to a file.  Or whenever you're invoking a
process which should really only be running one copy at a time (say, some
sloppy DB update util).

Or when invoking a process that will write to a file, unless that process does
it's own file locking, or the file name is guarunteed to be unique.

--
Andrew Edelstein        -       andrew(_at_)pure-chaos(_dot_)com

"If you're not pissed off at the world then you're just not paying attention."
                                Kasey Chambers "Ignorance"

"If you're not frightened by this, you're simply not paying attention."
                                Harry Browne