RE: Spams bypassing procmail based filtering

2001-12-25 12:21:15

-----Original Message-----
From: procmail-admin(_at_)Lists(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DE
[mailto:procmail-admin(_at_)Lists(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DE]On Behalf Of
Paul Thomas
Sent: Monday, December 24, 2001 2:58 PM
To: procmail(_at_)Lists(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DE
Subject: Spams bypassing procmail based filtering

Howdy,

I have some spam filtering in /etc/procmailrc attempting to grab
spam before it is delivered. However spams that mail to several
local addresses via recipient delivery (Bcc: addy1, addy2, addy3..)
are delivered directly into  $DEFAULT without ever passing through
/etc/procmailrc or .procmailrc, or so it seems.

I am running Procmail as the local delivery agent for my Sendmail-based
Linux mailserver.

As a first step, try enabling procmail's logging option to see what is
happening. Add the following to the top of your .procmailrc file:

LOGFILE=procmail.log
LOGABSTRACT=all

This will place some info. in the file $MAILDIR/procmail.log (where $MAILDIR
typically defaults to your home directory).  If you need (lots) more info,
add VERBOSE to your .procmailrc:

LOGFILE=procmail.log
LOGABSTRACT=all
VERBOSE=yes

With this in place, when a message comes in that you think may not have been
processed properly, you can look at 'procmail.log' to see what happened to
it. You can add your own logging info. by assigning to the LOG variable at
various places in your recipe. Typically, a "newline" variable is
intrroduced into the .procmailrc file (towards the top) to make formatting
the log output easier.

NL="
"
LOG="log message 1$NL"