Re: mailbox too big ?

2002-01-02 11:05:48
Olaf Menkens <olaf(_dot_)menkens(_at_)imk(_dot_)fraunhofer(_dot_)de> writes:
After several hours of "trial and error" I created an /etc/procmailrc
like this:

# Only do this for one user (the 'traces' below)
:0
* LOGNAME ?? traces
{
       PID=$$
       SHELL=/bin/bash
       DEFAULT=/var/spool/mail-test/traces
       DUMMY=`strace -o $HOME/procmail.strace-$PID -p $PID \
               >/dev/null 2>/dev/null </dev/null &`
       DUMMY=`/bin/sleep 1`
}

The SHELL was necessary, otherwise it didn't create anything; "sleep"
was necessary to create files with contents, and I tried changing
"DEFAULT" to test other filesystems (see below).

I attached the output of strace. The error is indeed "-1 EFBIG (File too
large)".
write(4, "F", 1)                        = -1 EFBIG (File too large)
--- SIGXFSZ (File size limit exceeded) ---

Heh, the problem isn't with the filesystem, but with the resource limits
that procmail is running with.  Notice that procmail not only gets the
EFBIG error, but also a SIGXFSZ ("exceeded file size").  This indicates
that the file being created was larger than procmail's soft file size
limit.  Since procmail inherits that from the MTA, you should increase
that resource limit in sendmail's startup script using something like
        ulimit -f unlimited

That also explains why you didn't see the error when you ran your test
program: you personally have a different (higher) file size resource
limit.

Philip Guenther