ANN: PerlJacket beta, and apology before the fact

2002-01-05 18:53:25
(and this time I'll actually send it to the list..)

I originally thought I'd investigate this as the "full perl jacket"
approach, but procmail is still useful for a few things. ;-)

Anyway, what I've spent the last month working on is a perl-based mail
filter which:

  * filters headers, and inserts additional header lines based on
    expression matches

  * allows for mail-based updates of the filter set

  * rewrites multipart/alternative and multipart/parallel as
    multipart/mixed

  * drops text/html parts of multipart/alternative messages when a
    text/plain part has already been seen

  * makes the text/html part of messages which don't have a text/plain
    part into attachments

  * makes sure all attachments have file disposition

  * drops tnef, vcard, winmail.dat

  * runs in one pass

  * avoids reading the entire message into memory at once... most
    of the time, anyway

This is "beta" at this point, although I'm going to make it live on my
account here RSN. Hence the "apology before the fact"... I've spent the
last week testing and tweaking, but you never know until it's too late. :-\

You can find the relevant pieces here, if you care to look:

  http://www.inwa.net/~m3047/perljacket/

God help us all!

--

Fred Morris