Re: Database checks into procmail

2002-01-06 16:53:53
On Sun, 2002-01-06 at 20:31, Professional Software Engineering wrote:
At 12:04 2002-01-06 +0100, Nils Vogels wrote:
a) email arrives at procmails door
b) procmail looks up the features the recipient has enabled using a
sql db

-8<-

Thanks, that helped a lot.

One thing about the example you gave in
http://www.rosat.mpe-garching.mpg.de/mailing-lists/procmail/2001-12/msg00391.html

Why do you use a pipe here ?

FILTER_OPTIONS=|`grep "^$LOGNAME " /etc/procmailrcs/spamassassin.users`
            ^^^^^^^^

Wouldnt just executing the grep give the same results ?

The main part im wondering about is how to get procmail to talk to a
sql db.. does anyone have any experiences with this ?

Procmail itself won't do the talking - you'd use a small helper
application.  You could pass SQL queries on the commandline to that
helper if you so chose, but if you just return *ALL* the rule flags
back in one string, you can make *ONE* call to the helper script,
rather than several dozen (or however many rules you may have).

I was thinking it wouldnt, but executing a seperate program is fine as
well .. is there a way to catch STDERR as well, coming from the binary
btw, and still being able to tell the difference between STDOUT and
STDERR ?

Gr,

--
Nils Vogels             PGP:0xC26BD15F Available on keyservers.
S(_at_)H:2744WU/4.046yr --> setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu. Will you find

Why did it happen ? BOFH Excuse: