Re: headerless emails through procmail

2002-01-07 03:40:41
i can now confirm that the PGP rules quoted were responsible for the
null-sized messages. i simply decided to delete them. and now it
works...

then i noticed that the rules applied at my mail server created
zero-sized messages, the *same* rule when applied to messages after
fetchmailing them to my laptop had no problems... what gives?

i am using "procmail v3.22 2001/09/10" from Debian woody/testing
(procmail_3.22-2) on a 2.4.17 kernel on both systems.

so now i am *really* confused

also sprach Philip Guenther <guenther(_at_)gac(_dot_)edu> [2002.01.07.0715
+0100]:
Looking again at your procmail log excerpt, I see the following 'odd'
entry:

procmail: Executing " formail -i "Content-Type: application/pgp;
format=text; x-action=sign""
procmail: Assigning
"LASTFOLDER=/home/madduck/mass/.maildir/new/1010359038.5306_0.seamus"
procmail: Assigning "INCLUDERC=/home/madduck/mass/.procmail/rc.daemon"

What recipe is generating that LASTFOLDER assignment?  Does that file
contain the complete message or is also zero length?

yes, the file exists, but it's also of zero-size. this "odd" entry is
perfectly legit as i duplicate all mail on my mail server; one copy goes
into spool for POP3s download to my laptop, the other stays on there for
archiving, but also to be able to use webmail to access previous emails
when i can't get at my laptop...

anyway, do i tried adding the 'h' flag, e.g.:

  :0 fhBw
  |formail -i "Content-Type: application/pgp; format=text; x-action=sign"

and the result is totally different (just the relevant parts):

procmail: Match on ! "^Content-Type: message/"
procmail: Match on ! "^Content-Type: multipart/"
procmail: Match on ! "^Content-Type: application/pgp"
procmail: Executing "formail -i "Content-Type: application/pgp;
  format=text; x-action=sign""
procmail: Assigning
  "LASTFOLDER=/home/madduck/mass/Mail/mass/new/1010398926.2620_1.seamus"
  Folder: /home/madduck/mass/Mail/mass/new/1010398926.2620_1.seamus   1201

now the message is not 0-sized anymore, but 1201 bytes, which is exactly
the body -- all the headers have been stripped.

so now i am getting suspicious of formail. when i pipe the message
through formail as specified, it executes just fine.

i then removed the 'w' flag for a second, but it made no difference,
except that one mail (out of 20) came through as the original (no
formail applied), the others were all 1201 bytes in size.

so i added the 'b' flag, and no three (!) out of 20 mails came through
unchanged, 9 were 1201 bytes in size, and the rest was zero bytes long.

i didn't know that procmail is non-deterministic... reminder: it works
on one of two identical systems, it works sporadically with three
possible outcomes on the other...

any comments welcome. especially those that solve my problem.

  \____ echo mailto: !#^."<*>"|tr "<*> mailto:"; net(_at_)madduck

1-800-psych
hello, welcome to the psychiatric hotline.
if you are co-dependent, please ask someone to press 2.