Re: cyrus-imap and procmail

2002-01-10 22:33:09
Timothy Luoma asked,

| Is there somewhere or someone who can tell me about potential issues
| relating to try to use cyrus-imap with procmail?
|
| My ISP is considering implementing this and I want to know if I should be
| for/against/etc it :-)

I'm using IMAP and procmail together on both of my shell accounts.  On one
the IMAP folders are on a server inaccessible from shell logins and all
named folders appear as subfolders of a general IMAP Inbox; on the other the
IMAP folders are the same files under my home directory that I'd been
accessing with Elm on shell login sessions, and the Inbox is the same spool
file as $ORGMAIL.

So I'm guessing that one of those is Cyrus and one is UW.  I wouldn't know
which is which, but procmail is running fine on both providers, putting my
incoming mail into IMAP folders.

As long as your current way of accessing your email will still be possible,
you have no cause to be against their implementing Cyrus IMAP.  If Cyrus is
the type that sees the same folders under my home directory that a shell
client does, give them your blessing.  If it's the type that has its own
separate server, make sure that there is some way for your .procmailrc to
direct a message to a specific IMAP subfolder (so that you don't sacrifice
your folder structure) or that you can go on handling your mail the way you
do now.