Re: html content signatures and web bugs

2002-01-12 10:48:09
On Sat, 12 Jan 2002, Paul Chvostek wrote:

Can anyone tell me why I *shouldn't* block inbound mail whose HTML body
contains either Javascript or embedded HTML forms?

If you're just doing it for yourself, and you never sign up for any kind
of commercial newsletters or you pre-whitelist those you want to get, then
no, there's no reason not to.

If, on the other hand, you're making an administrative decision for a
whole domain, you shouldn't prevent your users from receiving mail that
they may have asked for -- unless there's some sort of company policy
against having such subscriptions in the first place.

Javascript is a bit different from embedded HTML forms, because it could
potentially be a vector for a virus; but in general I feel it's better to
identify spam by the content rather than by the markup, and better still
to identify it by the source and be more liberal about everything else.