scoring Q: repeating chars?

2002-01-28 12:38:17

I want to generate a weighted score where certain characters repeat in the subject:

:0:
* -150^0
* 30^2 ^Subject:.*\!
folder

There are other examples, but this is a straightforward one. Problem is, it scores as if there was only one '!'. Same result if I put it into brackets.

Thus far, the only reliable method I've found to accomplish this is to extract the subject into a variable, then match:

* 30^2 SUBJECT ?? [!]

Is this the only way to accomplish what I'm after? It isn't too much of a bother as I already extract the subject for other things, but it seems like the expression at the top should accomplish the same thing, but does not.

I've been using variable extraction method with success, but every time I look at it (and esp the verbose output, which doesn't signify what the expression matched against), I can't help but think I'm missing something.