Spam blacklist (in)efficiency?

2002-03-08 08:39:14
Hello gurus,

I am having another issue with spam blacklists. The recipe I use was 'poached'
from this list long time ago and because perl is my nemesis I am not able to
do anything about the problem that I am seeing:

A few recipes to catch spam that I use, after a successful (true/false) match,
do

:0 condition
| formail -rtzxTo: >> /home/wash/.LOG/black.lst

Then I use the recipe below to block those bad guys in the future ;-)

BLACKLIST="(`perl -p0e '
                        s/\012(.)/\|$1/g;
                        s/\015//g;
                        s/\|{2,}/\|/g;
                        s/\./\\\./g' < $PMDIR/black.lst`)"
# Check banlist
:0:
* ! (^From|^To):.*($lists)
* ? formail -xFrom: | fgrep -if $BLACKLIST
SPAM

Now I see in my log a complaint that

"The file name is too long" ...

procmail: Non-zero exitcode (2) from " formail -xFrom: | fgrep -if $BLACKLIST"

when this recipe is run. The $BLACKLIST has grown to almost 1000 lines !!!

I am hoping that there is an  efficient way to check the banlist, even by
using some db????

Much thanks and have a splendid/restful weekend.

-Wash

--
                       /"\
Odhiambo Washington    \ /     ASCII Ribbon Campaign

When I find myself fading, I close my eyes and realize my friends are my
energy.