Removing double newlines.

2002-03-12 11:34:44

I have a simple problem: One of my email accounts has started to double newlines. That is, for every end of line in the original message, I get a whole blank line. This includes the headers. 'Flowed' messages have two lines between paragraphs, but the paragraphs themselves are fine.

No problem, I have procmail. Just set it to change \n\n to \n (note: this substitution works perfectly, after I have retrieved the mail through my IMAP client). Except I don't know how to do that. So I'm asking for help. I have what is apparently a 100% sure method of determining which messages need this treatment, and it appears to always insert exactly one extra line for every end of line.

I did try the following recipe from the archives (which looked promising):
:0fwbB
It didn't work, I'm sure you will know why.  I'll work on figuring it out.

I'm sure this is a fairly simple problem, but I'm a relative UNIX newbie, so I'm not sure exactly how to do it. Eventually I could probably figure it out, but I want my email to be readable again before that...

Thanks.
Daniel T. Staal