Need help with multiple autoresponder sending too many messages

2002-03-27 12:11:32
I'm working on using procmail on a virtual host account to manage multiple
POP boxes.

I've found that a message to multiple addresses on the list, including one
that has an autoresponder associated with it, will send the same number of
replies as there are message recipients.

I corrected this by putting the following lines in the autoresponder recipe:

:0 Hc:
* ^TO(_dot_)replytest(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)com
{
  :0 Wh:msgid.lock                     # line 1 of 2 for not delivering
                                       # duplicates
  | formail -D 8192 $HOME/msgid.cache  # line 2 of 2 for not delivering
                                       # duplicates
  :0
  | (formail -r -A"Precendence: junk"\
  -A"X-Loop: replytest(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)com";\
  echo "Testin...") | $SENDMAIL -t
}

However, I also found that a message sent to multiple recipients still has
the same message id, so anything after this message which is also checking
message ids (like another autoresponder) does not respond as the message id
has already been cached.

If the lines are removed or commented out from subsequent autoresponders,
those responders will generate the same number of responses as there are
message recipients.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

-kevin callahan