Re: sending mail to users on subnet

2002-06-07 14:33:55
Gary <garys(_at_)myrealbox(_dot_)com>
[...]I have set up a home network using four machines.  I have a FQDN
and utilize hosts for a static IP address for each machine. For Example:

192.168.0.10 major.pc.com  major
192.168.0.15 minor.pc.com  minor
etc...

Now, my question is how do I write recipes, (or maybe postfix should
handle this altogether), for putting mail in the various machines? How
do I make sure Mark(_at_)minor(_dot_)pc(_dot_)com will get his, or gary.pc.com
will get
his?  Do I need a global .procmailrc file, or should postfix handle
this?

Don't forget to ask (and answer) the question: how is someone "out there on
the internet" going to know how to find minor.pc.com or gary.pc.com?
Usually this is done with DNS MX records, in this case for the domain
pc.com. Host records on your computers are not going to be accessible to
people "out there", and whatever is the mailhost for pc.com may not
automatically accept traffic for relaying to subdomains.

I see that your addresses are nonrouting addresses? So, I'm presuming you
have DNS MX entries which point to a machine somewhere else which is
visible and which is furthermore configured to accept mail (possibly for
"relaying") for those other machines. Won't fetchmail running on
minor.pc.com or gary.pc.com connect to that machine? Or if it's a firewall
machine with two network cards, can't it relay?

(Sorry, but maybe this isn't a procmail issue.. not that I'm saying you
shouldn't be asking, if nothing else maybe somebody's answer will help you
clarify your question and/or suggest where else to ask.)

Today's thought: Why don't sheep shrink when it rains?

Do sheep worry about static electricity when it *doesn't* rain?

--

Fred Morris
m3047(_at_)inwa(_dot_)net