Re: New subscriber

2002-06-13 10:57:54
Sean

My question referring to LOCAL_RULE_0 came from a program called "email-sanitizer". It was their idea, not mine. I didn't think it was necessary as I said. Since the M4 file referred to sendmail 8.8.9 and I am using 8.12.3, I guessed that one of the rules (not all) below did the same thing in the newer version of sendmail.

FEATURE(local_procmail,`',`procmail -t -Y -a $h -d $u')dnl
define(`PROCMAIL_MAILER_PATH',`/usr/bin/procmail')dnl
MAILER(procmail)dnl

As for the rules, including adding the -t, They are all Redhat. This is the way the sendmail.mc file comes.

As for the .mc file, since the commands listed are M4 macros, I didn't think it would be necessary to say that it was the sendmail.mc file

The intent of the script, since perhaps, it wasn't obvious was to toss a piece of mail that met a certain criteria and indicate why the mail was tossed to a log file. The piece of mail that matches shouldn't be delivered.

My understanding is that only one action line can follow the condition, hence the two conditions that match everything inside of the actual conditional. One does the logging and the other causes the mail to be tossed. Isn't that correct. I would like to see a more efficient way of doing this.

Once delivered, it doesn't need to be thrown away. The issue is that the pipe to echo doesn't READ the message, and therefore procmail sees it as a delivery failure. Add the 'i' flag (see 'man procmailrc') to the logging line, and you can eliminate the discard delivery.

I don't understand what the i option is going to do here, explain.

I emit elements to my regular procmail log, and have a simple script invoked by crontab that grabs the ^SPAM: lines and emails them.

I wanted to avoid parsing a file. The criteria was single line entry delimited by colons. This is why I didn't use the standard logging

Refer to the Sendmail Bat book, 19.6.32. LOCAL_RULE_0 is not synonymous with LDA.

Even though that is what I probably said, it is not what I meant. I meant that incoming traffic is being caught by procmail due to one of the rules in the M4 file. There for I don't need the LOCAL_RULE to accomplish the same thing.

MAILER(procmail) isn't necessary for using procmail as LDA. It is unrelated - it has to do with being able to deliver "to" procmail much as you deliver "to" a file or to SMTP.

Doesn't this also cause all mail going through the MTA (Sendmail) to be filtered.

No, LDA is only for mail being delivered to local _USERS_. Delivery to aliases (to programs, or to remote users, or lists of same), as well as outbound delivery, are not subject to handling by the LDA.

So unlike adding regexs to sendmail, your saying I can test by sending a user mail that will go out through sendmail, but will be caught by procmail on the way in.

(i.e mailing out as local nagray to nagray(_at_)austin(_dot_)rr(_dot_)com and having fetchmail pull down mail for local nagray from nagray(_at_)austin(_dot_)rrr(_dot_)com, If I was filtering the out the word "sex" I should be able to send but not recieve)

That's cool.

Procmail treats /etc/procmailrcs/ special - see the manpage. No need to create a similar directory there which may be cause for later confusion. Yes, I put global recipe components into /etc/procmailrcs and include them into the /etc/procmailrc script.

/etc/procmailrcs is not used by my version.
--
Nix

Vidae Credendes!
Senior Network Engineer