How can I deliver to two folders at once using links?

2002-06-25 03:56:56
Hi,

I use procmail, nmh and exmh to manage my mail.  My problem is that I'm
not good at replying to my messages.

I have come up with an idea where all mail specifically addressed to me
(by people, not mail servers) goes to my +inbox folder _and_ is linked into
a +REPLY folder. I then remind myself about unanswered mail by scanning
+REPLY with cron jobs, and delete messages from the +REPLY folder when they
have been replied to. Because they are links the reply annotation is also
visible in +inbox.

The problem is that I have not managed to come up with a good method of
delivering to +inbox and linking to +REPLY while at the same time maintaining
the unseen sequence in +inbox.

I currently use procmail's MH awareness and ability to create links to ensure
I have copies in the +REPLY folder. Then I do some horrible stuff with TRAP
and the mark command to fiddle with the unseen sequence.

The (ugly!) recipes look like this:

    TRAP="${TRAP:+${TRAP}; }mark -sequence unseen -add \`echo \"\$LASTFOLDER\"
| gawk -F=\"/\" '{printf \"+%s %s\\n\",\$1,\$2}'\`"

    # File the message, making a link to it in the "REPLY" folder
    :0 w: inbox/$LOCKEXT
    inbox/. REPLY/.
}

Can anyone suggest a cleaner (and more elegant) way of doing this?

Thanks,
Dave

--
David Morriss,                              | Tel: +44 (0)131 451 3262 (DDI)
Systems Manager & Deputy Director,          | FAX: +44 (0)131 451 3261