Re: virtual domain multiple users filter

2002-06-25 09:37:38
On 24 Jun, Balu wrote:
| hi
| i manage a multiple user virtual domain...ie
| i download mails for all my users separately thru fetchmail and filter it
thru procmail matching X-Rcpt-To:
| but i seem to miss some mails, i don't know how..
| probably some ISP's don't have this header anymore?
|
| any suggestions?

In over 7000 archived messages I have, there are exactly 0 X-Rcpt-To:
headers. It really matters little what "some ISP's" are doing, though.
It only matters what *your* provider is doing, because that's the only
place a header like this could be added reliably.

This is a FAQ. You cannot reliably route email with procmail. Although
the envelope recipient [1] often finds it's way into headers, there is
no guarantee it will. Oft cited examples are bcc: and some list mail.
The SMTP conversation is over, and therefore (typically) the envelope
information gone, before procmail is ever handed the message.  Doing
virtual domains with procmail is doomed to be an imperfect solution.

Arguably the best way to do virtual domains is to run your own mail
server(s) and use functionality native to that software, where it
belongs.  If that's impossible, then you might try persuading your
provider to add header(s) with the envelope information to your
messages, although that's likely still imperfect. I add X-Envelope-To:
headers, but it doesn't get added if there is more than one recipient at
the same domain. That may be due to my lack of ability, but it
illustrates the difficulty of this method.

I don't use fetchmail, so don't know of any facilities within that
software to deal with this, but then that would be a fetchmail and not
a procmail question. Even if they do exist, it would probably still
suffer the same shortcomings because this is properly done at the MTA
level, and not by delivery agents, pop clients, etc.

[1] The "real" recipient to whom a message has been routed, as
determined by the SMTP RCPT TO: command.

--
Reply to list please, or append "8" to "procmail" in address if you must.
Spammers' unrelenting address harvesting forces me to this...reluctantly.