Re: Using alternative passwd files?

2002-07-06 13:50:47
At 19:52 2002-07-06 +0000, Lyn St George wrote:
Hi all

I would like procmail to use password files which are kept
in /etc/virtual/<domain_name>/passwd, rather than /etc/passwd.

Procmail uses:

        getspnam()      (defined in /usr/include/shadow.h)
        getpwnam()      (defined in /usr/include/pwd.h)

It doesn't refer to the password files/paths itself. If you want to hack something (for a reason I can't quite determine), you should either look to hack the system libraries (which make the most sense if you're running with different files), inject an alternate library function into the link, or hack at the procmail functions which use these library functions.

As far as I can find - and hopefully I've just missed it - this means
hacking into the code before compiling.

How is it you plan on passing the domain name?  Just wondering.

I was hoping that there would be something like PASSWD=/foo to put several times in /etc/procmailrc, but I haven't seen it mentioned.

That'd be because there is no such functionality.

An alternative is to have it avoid password lookups entirely.

Procmail makes the pw calls in order to obtain the users's home dir and their default shell.