Re: Example in procmailex man page

2002-08-11 10:23:18
Andrew saw this,

|             :0 ic
|             | cd backup && rm -f dummy `ls -t msg.* | sed -e 1,32d`
|                                  ^^^^^

and asked,

| What I want to know is the purpose of the dummy.  Thanks.

In case there are, even after the current message was saved there, thirty-two
or fewer messages in the directory, and sed produces no output, rm won't
complain that there were no files named on its command line: the word "dummy"
will still be there.  The file "dummy" doesn't exist, but one characteristic
of rm's -f option is that it won't report an error if asked to remove a
nonexistent file.