How do I set a variable on a pipe ????

2002-08-11 15:53:53
This I suspect is more a question of Unix in general than procmail, but here
goes ..

How do I set a variable (say ADDRESS) equal to the output of a command,
when the input to the command is on the standard input with a pipe ?

For example, if a prcomail rule is:

:0
| ($FORMAIL -x "From:" ) | $GREP -f $HOME/white.list

how can I set a variable equal to the output from that command string ??

Trying to say
ADDRESS = | ($FORMAIL -x "From:" ) | $GREP -f $HOME/white.list

just does not work, whereas it would if the command did not start at the
standard input.

dave kirby