rules to filter out attachments ONLY?

2002-08-11 23:59:21
From my brief readings so far it appears procmail is mostly used to filter out messages identified as spam and/or carrying viruses (or to sort messages into mailboxes of course). While I plan to do that stuff eventually, the first thing I'm trying/hoping to do is to strip out certain attachments. Not the messages containing the attachments, mind you - the attachments only.

For instance, I'm on a mailing list. Other members of this list work at a place where some buffoon has (mis)configured the mail system to send along legal boilerplate ("This e-Mail may contain proprietary and confidential information and is sent for the intended recipient(s) only....") as an attachment on every outgoing message. As a result, my PC fills up with many many copies of this "<company>_disclaimer.txt" file. Similarly, my mail client is also littered with .vcf files even though I don't care to accept .vcf.

So I was wondering if there's a way for procmail (I run sendmail on my Solaris 8 server, then POP to Eudora on a Windows PC) to /dev/null attachments matching certain patterns before they ever get to the mail spool file? Or if not procmail, what?

TIA,
MB