Re: problems with default rcfile

2002-08-22 08:43:54
Jamie wrote,

| We recently set up a global procmailrc file in
|
| /usr/local/etc/procmailrc

Apparently you've changed the source to use that name instead of the usual
/etc/procmailrc; OK, whatever floats your boat (and with water still on our
streets after last night's floods, floating boats is very easy where I live).

|     Now it is ignoring all the users who have a .procmailrc file in their
| home directories. Perhaps I misunderstood the documentation, but I thought
| it would check their home directories for a .procmailrc file and if one
| wasn't found it would go to the global file.

Yes, you misunderstood the documentation.  It's exactly the opposite.  If
there is code into the global rcfile that completes delivery, the users' own
rcfiles will never be read unless they invoke procmail in a way that skips the
global file [such as naming an rcfile on the command line or using the -p
option].

You didn't include the contents of the global rcfile, but something in there,
apparently, is completing delivery.  If a message is still undelivered at the
end of the global file, then procmail reads instructions from the user's
personal rcfile.