Re: Loose screw in recipe

2002-09-07 09:12:43
On Sat, 7 Sep 2002, Alan Clifford wrote:

AC> On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Eric Hilding wrote:
AC>
AC> EH>
AC> EH> This *should* work to:
AC> EH>
AC> EH> 1. Bounce e-mails in excess of 15KB
AC> EH> 2. Return their e-mail below my REJECT text message
AC> EH> 3. Record their e-mail address to a LOG file
AC> EH> 4. Finish with /dev/null

Eric, an observation on a badly designed autoresponder, and a poorly
thought out use of it, so be very careful.

My reply to this list, addressed to
produced an autoresponse stating that I had emailed a "Spam arrest"
customer, ctp(_at_)ctpdesign(_dot_)com, which I had not (I saw it arrive as I
run a
tail -f on the procmail log).

This response was a badly formatted html message and I am supposed to
click on a link and fill in a web form.  Rather difficult if reading
offline.

Of course, as I had not emailed ctp(_at_)ctpdesign(_dot_)com, my autoresponder
responded.  This produced another autoresponse from the "Spam arrest"
autoresponder.  The mail loop stopped right there as my procmail recipes
detected it.  I should add that the loop was not stopped by the X-Loop
mechanism as the "Spam arrest" autoresponder did not return it in the
headers.  Nor did it use the X-loop mechanism itself.

Also the "spam arrest" autoresponder did not reply to the Reply-to: header
but used the From: header.

No doubt, I shall receive another "Spam arrest" autoresponse to this post
to the list but that will be silently ignored.

Alan

( Please do not email me AS WELL as replying to the list. Personal
  email is welcome but may invoke a password autoresponder. )