Re: automatically forwarding of email using PROCMAIL

2002-09-24 10:34:41
John Reif wrote:
Is there a way to allow automatically forwarding of email using PROCMAIL, in
such a way so that all the attachments are eliminated in the forwarded
emails?

Procmail doesn't know anything about MIME, and attachments are almost
invariably MIMEd (nobody uses uuencode or binhex any more). You first need
a tool which will handle the attachments you don't want.

After that, the delivery recipe to forward mail is simply:

  :0
  * match stuff to forward
  ! forwardee(_at_)wherever(_dot_)whatever

There is a CPAN MIME module, if you know perl, own the server, and want to
roll your own.

I wrote a gizmo called PerlJacket, which deals with MIME parts by making
them attachments, and drops some. You could modify it so that it drops all
attachments:

  http://www.inwa.net/~m3047/perljacket/users-guide.html

Forwarding stuff is, as illustrated, pretty simple. "Automatic", however,
is open to interpretation... I don't think there is general agreement on
what "automagic" really means. You might want to forward different stuff to
different users, for all I know. In addition to the !bang delivery style,
people pipe things directly to sendmail, for instance for autoreplies.

Play with this:

  http://www.inwa.net/~m3047/pfsk/procmail-generator.html

--

Fred Morris