Re: procmail inserts blank lines

2002-10-06 12:08:10
Garvin Hicking wrote,

| Problem now is, that now /var/mail/hicking gets filled up with empty,
| single blank lines.

Well, let's see what you have.  (Actions are single lines in Garvin's rcfiles,
broken only in these posts.)

| :0 fw:
| * ^Subject:.*spam
| |formail -i "Envelope-To: garvin_spam(_at_)localhost" -A"X-Procmail:
| SPAM"|$SENDMAIL $SENDMAILFLAGS garvin_spam

and

| :0 fw:
| * Subject:.*being
| * Subject:.*watch
| |formail -i "Envelope-To: garvin_spam(_at_)localhost" -A"X-Procmail: MULTI-
| SPAM"|$SENDMAIL $SENDMAILFLAGS garvin_spam

and again,

| :0 Bfw:
| * month
| * money
| * back
| |formail -i "Envelope-To: garvin_spam(_at_)localhost" -A"X-Procmail: MULTI-
| BODYSPAM"|$SENDMAIL $SENDMAILFLAGS garvin_spam

No wonder.  I'll bet you get "couldn't determine implicit lockfile" errors in
your log too.  (You *are* using a logfile, aren't you, and you do have VERBOSE
turned on when you're trying to track down a problem, don't you?)

The `f' flag says to run the command on the text and replace it with the
output of the command; since those commands have no stdout (the pipe to
$SENDMAIL sucks it all up), you're replacing the message, head and body, with
nothingness.  Procmail always wants a closing blank line, so procmail puts
back one blank line.  My take is that you don't want the `f' flag, nor `w'
either.

Also, the second colon to request a local lockfile is unnecessary, since those
recipes don't need local lockfiles; moreover, because the actions don't give
procmail a clue as to what to name the local lockfile, if you did want to use
one, you'd have to supply a name for it.  But you don't need one, so get rid
of the second colon as well.

In short, change the flag lines to :0, :0, and :0B respectively.