Re: Vacation bombs

2002-10-14 21:28:06
At 13:00 2002-10-15 +0930, Michael Talbot-Wilson did say:
Just now I am seeing an "out of office" message bouncing between the

(1)  What is a recipe that would detect these cases?  I guess it is
     easy to detect six "Re:"s, but is there a better way?  Perhaps
     this is not a job for procmail.

Better way: match on the criteria of the braindead user who is bombing the list. Probably simply on their From:. Then bomb them - chances are, their vacation message is braindead enough to reply to itself, so a simple message forgery would probably do the trick. I'd preface the message with a contact attempt to the administrator of the domain in question, so that they can perhaps disable their user's email account manually.

Drawback: some IT person is likely to want to come after you for a deliberate "Denial of Service".

(2)  Is there anything that can be done (by procmail or anything else
     you know of) in the case of non-braindead list servers which
     don't accumulate multiple "Re:"s in the subject line?  In these
     cases the message will come again and again with the same subject
     line.  The desirable objective, of course, is that the same
     message will not be delivered twice.

Unfortunatley, they aren't the _same_ message, from the aspect of the MessageID. if the message contains an "out of office" "going on holiday", or whatever, type of keyphrase, trigger off of that.

The lists I admin bounce those type of messages, and we also actively eject users who use vacation rules which send messages to the lists (even when the list filters successfully reject those messages).

Your best bet for eliminating this user is to contact the listadmin and get them to do their job.