Re: Changing "From:" header

2002-10-19 05:15:29
* procmail-request(_at_)Lists(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DE wrote on Oct 19, 2002
[12:00, +0200] :

:0hf
* ^From: (_dot_)*sender(_at_)theirdomain\(_dot_)com
| formail -i "From: Senders Name <sender(_at_)domain(_dot_)com>"

That should add your Old-From, takes less processing time, and lets the
message continue along through your procmailrc, to be delivered however
you'd be delivering email from this buddy.

Thank you - this works like a charm!

Surely in rewriting the From:, you're changing the ADDRESS of your
friend?  If so, why can't he just use that other address in the first
place?

It's not the actual e-mail address that has a special character but the
name he put along, i.e., His ^BName <hisaddress(_at_)domain(_dot_)com>
                             ^^
And this is what I am rewriting with this recipe because every time I want
to reply to him, Pine 4.44 complains, and I have to delete his name from
to "To" line and add it manually (from the address book).

Another thing to consider is just _fixing_ Pine so that it supports this
symbol you're dealing with.

Well, nobody at comp.mail.pine could tell me how to do this. That's why
... :(

--