Re: need to replace sender's email address

2002-10-19 09:02:21
literal his(_at_)my(_dot_)com, or some programmatic implementation wherein
the
username portion from the original message is tacked onto a @my.com ?  And
is hers(_at_)my(_dot_)com a static address?

"sender's" address is a misnomer - I suspect you're referring to the
"From:" field, but the sender's address may appear literally in "Sender:"
(say, for list messages), and of course the From_ (which, when you remail,
your server will end up rewriting), or the Return-Path: and Reply-To:
headers.  There's lots of places to find the "senders" address.

Situation: source(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com e-mails me at email(_at_)box(_dot_)com
(procmail invokes). I need to replace source(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com
(from anywhere in either the header or body of the message) with
email(_at_)box(_dot_)com and then forward the message to
destination(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com(_dot_)

receiving it as a Bcc:).  Before you argue the logic of that, consider that
if there are addresses other than your own in the To: or Cc: fields, so you
shouldn't just change those fields to be something else, so how do you
figure you'll rewrite them?  You could pass the message headers through a
sed script to change my(_at_)my(_dot_)com to hers(_at_)my(_dot_)com, but I'll
leave that exercise
up to you.

I guess that's what I need: help with sed :)

Thanks for answering.