What does "successfully completed?" mean?

2002-10-24 22:46:44
a    Has the same meaning as the `A' flag, with the  addi-
            tional   condition  that  the  immediately  preceding
            recipe must have been successfully  completed  before
            this recipe is executed.

what does "successfully completed" mean with respect to a filter?

I previously had this

:0 Wf:$HOME/filtmail.lock
| $HOME/.filtmail/filtmail

:0 a:$HOME/copy.lock
$MAILDIR/copy

and if filtmail exits with a zero exit status mail would go into copy
otherwise pass through to $DEFAULT

but now I have to add

:0hf
* ^^rom( )
| sed '1s/^rom/From/'

this before it hits copy so my rule ordering changes and therefore so does the "a" flag on the copy rule.

but now the From isn't tied to the successful completion of the filtmail rule but the previous
rule which semantically is not what I want.

because of this procmail bug I want the "workaround" rule to appear as late as possible. certainly not before any other filters are executed but I also want to tie the copy rule to occur _after_ it has potentially executed.

How can I express that logic in procmail syntax?