Re: procmail user's guide?

2002-10-29 11:05:12
On Tue, 29 Oct 2002 19:16:42 +0200, Udi Mottelo wrote:
=> On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Attila Horvath wrote:
=> > Where can I go for a reasonable user's guide for procmail?

=>   There is a book "The Procmail Companion" by Martin McCarthy.

        Martin posts in this group from time to time but I've
never seen him promote his own book here, so I'll delurk and add
my recommendation as well: This book really helped me really
understand procmail and is well worth the money (IMO).
It's US$22.04 from buy.com:
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=30836260&loc=106
-or- US$ 24.49 at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201737906/qid%3D1025628042/104-3014568-1165519

        Martin's approach makes good sense and it's a very
helpful book.  Hopefully he's working on an updated index (the
only part somewhat lacking in the current edition - some of the
pages #s are totally wrong, which makes it frustrating to use).
Perhaps Martin will post an updated/corrected index to his
website sometime soon (hint, hint).

        <snip good steps>

=>   5>  Sean B. Straw (Professional) has good site with a little glossary
=>       for acronyms that you MUST know if you read this mailinglist and FAQ.
=>       http://www.professional.org/procmail/disclaimer.html   Also, see his
=>       sendbox  which explain and build a test environment to check rcfiles!
=>       http://www.professional.org/procmail/sandbox.html

        I'd also highly recommend setting up the sandbox which
Sean explains above.  Just remember that all you're doing with
the sandbox is redirecting your outgoing (sendmail) back into one
of your own folders so that your tests don't leak out into the
real world and then driving your procmail logic from the command
line using any file of one of more test messages that you'd like.
I think Sean may make it sound a bit more complex than it
actually is (kind of like procmail in general) but it is
excellent advice and I'm glad that his continuing recommendations
to do it here finally prodded me into setting it up - thanks
again Sean!.

=>      Don't panic!

        Really, procmail is kind of fun once you get past the
arcane bits (or perhaps because of them).

        Good luck,

        - Don