Re: Need help from the procmail rule gods. (simplified)

2002-11-21 15:18:39
On 21 Nov, LuKreme wrote:
| On Thu, 21-Nov-2002, at 11:20:04 -0700, Robert Nicholson wrote:
| > I thought I'd take a stab at simplifying my question.
|
| Oh good.  I got lost.
|
| > The problem is that the filter applies to two users. robert and ann.
| > so I cannot just put
| >
| >> #anns mail
| >> :0e:$HOME/$LOGNAME.lock
| >> * ^TOann(_at_)elastica(_dot_)com
| >> $ANNDEFAULT
|
| How about:
|
| :0e:$HOME/$LOGNAME.lock
| {
|    :0
|    * ^TOann(_at_)elastica(_dot_)com
|    $ANNEDFEAULT
|
|    :0
|    * ^TOrobert(_at_)elastica(_dot_)com
|    $DEFAULT
| }
|
| [...]

That's pretty close to what I sent a few moments ago, but it hasn't
shown up yet.  The only difference is your use of a regional lock file,
and it's unnecessary in this case.  If a message to Ann arrives at the
same time as one for Robert, the second one will have to wait until the
first is delivered.  Whereas, if the lockfiles are local to each
recipe, then there's no delay.

While we're at it, both of us copied Robert's named lock file.  That
doesn't hurt anything, AFAIK, but it's unnecessary too. Procmail can
get the lock file name implicitly from the file it's delivering to.  A
simple trailing colon is sufficient, though there's no bottleneck in
this case.

--
Reply to list please, or append "8" to "procmail" in address if you must.
Spammers' unrelenting address harvesting forces me to this...reluctantly.