Re: help a novice: sorting bcc

2002-12-08 08:38:44
On 8 Dec 2002 Helmut W. Karl (hwkarl(_at_)businesspark(_dot_)org) wrote:

:0
* ^(To:|Cc:|Bcc)(_dot_)*(_at_)parked-domain(_dot_)com
!users(_at_)local(_dot_)address

However, appearantly the "bcc"-part doesn't work.

Q: How do I properly sort out mail from list that are
addresses through bcc?

I discuss this in my Procmail Quick Start in the section

 Important Warning: Procmail Cannot Reliably Route Users'
 Messages in a Virtual Domain

which is here

 <http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/#virtualDomain>

Here is the beginning...

--- begin excerpt of Procmail Quick Start --- Traditionally an
email message arrived at a mail server and the message transfer
agent (MTA) routed it to the appropriate address, possibly
passing it *immediately* to a separate local delivery agent
(LDA), such as Procmail. Nowadays many people have their own
domain name, but do not have their own mail server and they are
not able to route the domain's mail in the traditional way.
Instead, they need to route the mail *long after* the messages
pass through the MTA that is running on the domain's purported
mail server (i.e., the server pointed to by the domain's MX
record). This is fraught with problems as you will discover if
you try to do it. The current Procmail maintainer, Philip
Guenther, summed it up well in a message in the procmail mailing
list where he said:

 "You can't do virtual domains in pure procmail, as you need the
 MTA to provide you with the original envelope recipient address.
 Once you have that, sort the messages on that directly (do *not*
 use ^TO_)."

Sometimes an MTA is set up to record the envelope recipient
address in one of the following headers.

 qmail, and safecat

 recipient

 Transfer Agent near the end of this section of Chapter 3)

But, be forewarned that even if your mail hosting provider has
set up their MTA to inject one of these headers into incoming
messages, there can still be problems (for example if there are
multiple instances of one of the above headers). For exhaustive
information about this, see . . .
--- end excerpt of Procmail Quick Start ---

I recently updated the above section and I'd appreciate any
feedback and suggestions.

Thanks,
Nancy

--