Re: Procmail isn't matching when it should (Redhat 8.0)

2002-12-11 16:18:44
At 12:31 2002-12-11 -0800, Graham Freeman wrote:

In a nutshell:  My procmail log shows that procmail is aware of the
incoming messages, and it appears that it's actually processing them.
However, no matter what I try I can't get procmail to actually recognize
that many of these messages do indeed match rules in my .procmailrc.

(you've followed up to yourself since I wrote my reply, so I've stripped out the bit asking for you to identify the procmail version)

Here's my ~/.procmailrc:

[...begin quote of procmailrc...]
LOGFILE=logs/procmail

I'm rather fond of specifying the base directory when specifying paths, because I get consistent results that way.

:0:
* ^TO_rt\-users\(_at_)lists\(_dot_)fsck\(_dot_)com
mail/rt-users

FTR, '-' and '@' do not need to be escaped.

Here's the procmail log entry from a recent message I got which, by virtue
of the "Cc: "'openLDAP'"  <openldap-software(_at_)OpenLDAP(_dot_)org>" header,
should
have been handled by the relevant procmail rule:

procmail: No match on
"(^((Original-)?(Resent-)?(To|Cc|Bcc)|(X-Envelope|Apparently(-Resent)?)-To):(.*[^-a-zA-Z0-9_.])?)openldap\-software\(_at_)OpenLDAP\(_dot_)org"

Well, assuming the Cc: you claim existed was actually there, this should have matched. I ran it in a sandbox with a constructed message and it worked just fine. Perhaps you have a linefeed problem in the rcfile?

Try prefixing the openldap recipe (or position it above all your filing recipes) with:

:0
* 1^0 ^Cc:\/.*
* 1^0 ^To:\/.*
{ }

(this will emit the matches to the verbose log, and handles either or both headers appearing There is a space within the braces - without it, you'll end up writing to a file named "{}".)

Then, throw the message at it again and check the log.

This same "No match on [rule]" behaviour happens with every other message
which should otherwise match a rule in my procmailrc.

How do you edit your procmailrc file?  Did it pass through a windowz box?

(also answered, but I'd check it anyway)

(By the way, it'd sure be nice if VERBOSE=yes was a bit more verbose.
There's not too much helpful information on the logfile even with the
VERBOSE flag set.)

Each condition matching or not matching, and if you used scoring, the individual scores, plus lockfile activity, and includerc activity, gets logged.. What more are you expecting it to log? Cyclic parsing of regexps-in-progress? Commentary on recipe efficiency?